Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Story in Progress (Chapter 6)

Chapter 6



The First Symbol





The fire cracked loudly as it burns its way through the firewood.
Stars are already lit up against the black sky.
I found a patch of wood to stay for the night. Tomorrow, I'll find more food.
I took out the kris and look at all the inscriptions on the blade.
I furrowed my brow.
I don't know how but I get this unfathomable feeling that I've seen it before.
The first marking is a drawing of a circle with three curved lines underneath it.
I studied it for a long time.
Finally, I gave out a deep sigh.
My eyes must have played trick on me when I saw the mark on the blade shine faintly and dimmed.
A soft wind drifted by and I closed my eyes.
I breathed deeply, slowly and steadily and let it all out.
I did it once more and I can feel my ring getting warmer.
I sensed that something unlocked inside me.
I don't know what and I can't explain how but I feel like I'm filled up to the brim with pure energy and enthusiasm. The same feeling you get when you are so eager to do something that you can't wait any longer.
I was in the middle of enjoying this sensation when I lost my concentration because the ring began burning through my finger again.
I looked at the dagger and now I distinctively saw the light fading slowly.
Breathing! It is teaching me how to breathe and concentrate.
I almost shouted with glee when I suddenly saw something moved. A shadow lurked by.
I clutched the dagger with both of my hands hoping for the worst.
A rustle of leaves here and a little footsteps there.
I looked everywhere, instincts control me now.
A nearby bush suddenly shook.
I closed on it, little by little.
My right hand, holding the dagger, is raised up high as I pushed some leaves back.
Suddenly, a surprised creature no bigger than a dog leaped straight at me as I was about to strike.
Shocked, I fell back and tumbled down on the ground.
I regained standing again but some of the wild berries spilled out from my pockets.
The creature was about to escape when suddenly it came back.
Panic. I thought it was about to charge at me again when it slowly creeps up to one of the fallen berries and nibbled at it.
Half dazed, I reached into my pocket and pulled out another fruit.
Slowly, I crouched down and extended my hand to him.
At first, the creature that resembles a bear but with horns on its head and a tail of a lion, hesitated. Then after a minute or so, it came closer to me.
It sniffed my hand first and finally took the treat.
Without moving my hand, I sat and positioned myself.
I closed my eyes once again and began breathing. In. Out. In. Out.
The ring began to radiate with warmth again.
The creature suddenly overcame its skittishness and came closer to me.
I can feel its rich dark fur now.
It sat on my lap as I patted it.
We were like two old companions sitting outside by the fire.
Breathing in and out. In and out.






(to be continued)
Stranger Passing-By                                   SP-B/03/22/12

No comments:

Post a Comment