Wednesday, September 05, 2012

A Piece of Home

I'm sure there will come a time for everyone of us to experience moving and living in a new house, dealing with a new neighborhood, seeing a lot of new faces and familiarizing ourselves starting from kitchen drawers to the crooks and nooks of every street there is to know, and no matter how eager you were to get away from that old house that had sheltered you for countless years, I'm sure that one day you'll think back to all the accustomed switches and doorknobs and positions of furniture that even with the lights turned off, you can move around from room to room without bumping into them, and then you'll realize how much you have missed that web-covered and weather-beaten house you had once called home.
Homesick? Well, not really... okay, maybe just a little... Alright! Alright! I missed the house but mostly I missed the old friendly neighborhood and the roads that I have walked up and down for thousand times, the convenience of buying just about anything and the favorite hangout places after school but most of all, the memories of being a child. I was in this mood while I was walking along Ongpin street, down in Chinatown, heading for home. I was really missing something but only nothing when I came by a bakeshop where my mom has once brought me to. I went in and the sweet aroma of bread and butter welcomed me warmly. For me nothing beats a local Chinese bakery store. Laid out on the counters are all my favorite pastries, from the warm pandesals to all sorts of hopias and to the famous tikoys. Mooncakes are also being sold as early as August and pies litter the see-through coolers. I bought an egg pie and really took my time in choosing one. It has to be golden yellow but not too rich and has to be soft but still firm. I finally picked my choice and as soon as everything is boxed and set, I went home feeling happy and thinking that I am bringing a piece of home to--- home.


A Home will always be a Home.




Stranger Passing-By
SP-B/09/05/12

No comments:

Post a Comment